We Are Open – Safety is Our Top Priority!
We’ve reopened in accordance with CDC, O.S.H.A., and State Dental Board guidelines to responsibly resume seeing our patients for regular dental appointments and treatment. We want to assure you of the measures we take to maintain a clean and safe environment so you can continue to receive needed dental care without fear or concern.
Posted on: February 27, 2015
Hard Knocks: Tips for Saving Knocked-Out Teeth
A knocked-out tooth is one of the most serious dental emergencies you can experience. If you don’t take action quickly or don’t know what to do, the chances of keeping your tooth alive and viable for reattachment are slim. Knowing how to handle the situation helps increase your chances of saving the tooth and enjoying the benefits of retaining natural teeth, such as superior appearance, better chewing function, maintenance of facial structure, and a healthier jawbone. The following tips can help you save your tooth when it temporarily takes a vacation from your mouth. How to Save a Knocked-Out Tooth
- The most important thing to do when trying to save your tooth is to take action immediately; there is no time to lose. The first 30 minutes after a tooth is knocked out are critical to its survival.
- When you retrieve the tooth, handle it only by its crown. Never touch its root; this greatly reduces the chances of successful reattachment. Don’t try to remove any attached tissues, and never scrub or rub the tooth in an attempt to remove debris.
- If your tooth is dirty, rinse it gently under running water. Don’t use any soap, toothpaste, or chemicals, and don’t try to dry it off, or store it in tissue or cloth.
- After rinsing, attempt to place the tooth back into the empty socket. You can hold it in place with your fingers or bite down gently. If this isn’t possible, you must keep it moist another way until you can get to your dentist’s office. Preserve it by placing it in a container of milk or water with a little salt added.
- Obtain emergency dental care immediately. You may be able to save the tooth if you can see a dentist within the first few hours. For the best results, get to the office within the first hour. Your dentist may refer you to an endodontist for advanced care.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Rockledge, call today at or make an appointment. offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Rockledge. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At , we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at .